75 Bank Street. Alexandria
West Dunbartonshire G83 0NB

T: 01389 752626   F: 01389 752169​

[email protected]

GP Clinics

Usually the GP is the first person you call if you feel unwell. However, it is estimated over 50million GP contacts every year are from minor illnesses such as coughs, colds, mild eczema and athlete's foot. Similarly, Accident & Emergency departments are struggling to cope with patients who present with non-life-threatening conditions.
The following services are available and may be more appropriate to help you quickly or put your mind at rest. However, if in doubt, do contact the surgery for further assistance.
Keeping a well stocked medicine cabinet at home can help you treat many minor ailments. Colds, coughs, indigestion and many other minor complaints can all be treated with medicines that are available over the counter.  
Your pharmacist can advise on what you might find useful to keep in your medicine cabinet. Always follow the instructions on the medicine label and consult your doctor if the illness continues or becomes more severe.  
Your Local Pharmacist 
Pharmacists offer professional free health advice at any time - you don't need an appointment. From coughs and colds to aches and pains, they can give you expert help on everyday illnesses. They can answer questions about prescribed and over-the-counter medicines.  
Pharmacists can also advise on health eating, obesity and giving up smoking. Some pharmacists have private areas where you can talk in confidence. They may suggest you visit your GP for more serious symptoms. It is possible to purchase many medicines from the chemist without a prescription and you may be eligible for free treatment for the following conditions under the terms of the Minor Ailments Scheme. Check with your pharamist for details:
Acne, Athlete's foot, conjunctivitis, constipations, cystitis, dental pain, dematitis/eczema, diarrhoea, haemorrhoids, hay fever, headlice, impetigo, indigestion/heartburn, migraine, oral thrush in babies, rash, scabies, temperature, threadworms, vaginal thrush.
Your Local Optician
Community optometrists are now recognised as the first ‘port of call’ for eye problems such as:

  • Blurred vision
  • Eye infections/irritated eyes
  • Sudden change in vision

If you have any problems with your eyes, make an appointment with an optometrist. All high street opticians have an optometrist who provides NHS services. The optometrist will carry out various tests and procedures to look for signs of eye disease. They may either treat the problem themselves or refer you to your GP or local hospital ophthalmology department for treatment.
Minor Injuries
Minor Injuries is open from 8am to 9pm every day and the Unit is staffed by Nurse Practitioners, supported by Accident and Emergency Consultants, based at Royal Alexandra Hospital, Paisley. In the Minor Injuries Unit, nurses will assess and treat adults and children over 2 with
  • a minor limb injury (including requesting x-rays when required for suspected broken bones)
  • wounds requiring dressing or stitches
  • minor burns
  • foreign bodies
  • minor injury to eyes, ear, nose 
  • minor head injuries
Following assessment, some patients may require referral to another hospital outwith the local area:
  • Children under 1 years old should attend A&E Emergency Department (A&E),  Royal Hospital for Children at Govan, Glasgow G51 4TF
  • Children aged 1-2 years old should attend A&E Emergency Department (A&E),  Royal Hospital for Children at Govan, Glasgow G51 4TF or Royal Alexandra Hospital, Corsebar Road, Paisley PA2 9PN
Accident & Emergency
A&E departments assess and treat patients who have serious injuries or illnesses. Generally, you should visit A&E or call 999 for emergencies, such as: 
  • loss of consciousness,   
  • severe pain that is not relieved by simple analgesia,   
  • acute confused state,   
  • persistent, severe chest pain
  • suspected stroke   
  • breathing difficulties.   
If you're injured or seriously ill, you should go, or be taken, to A&E. If an ambulance is needed you can call 999, the emergency phone number in the UK. You can also dial 112, which is the equivalent for the European Union.  
Major A&E departments offer access 365 days a year and usually open 24 hours a day.
Be aware that not all hospitals have an A&E department.